Monday, March 30, 2009

Music Monday-Eric Clapton "Layla"

Every now and then, there are performers that you just can't get enough of. For me they are few and far between. I can count on one hand the number of musicians that I want to get everything they put out. In my younger(pre-married and pre-father) days, I used to go to a lot of concerts. There were two singers that I wanted to see year in and year out, Jimmy Buffett and Eric Clapton. Those would be two artists that I would always look forward to the next CD coming out.

In my humble opinion, Clapton is the greatest guitarist that has ever lived. I would have given anything to have been able to play guitar anywhere close to the way he plays. There might be guitarists out there who are more flashy, but nobody played with the passion and feeling of Slowhand. It was in listening to Clapton that I came to appreciate a lot of the old bluesmen. One of the greatest concerts I ever saw was when Muddy Waters opened up for Clapton at the old Capital Centre in Largo, Maryland.

Not only do I feel he is the greatest guitarists of all time, I also feel he produced the greatest rock song of all time, "Layla." Clapton became close friends with George Harrison of the Beatles. In the course of that friendship, Clapton fell in love with Harrison's wife Patti Boyd. "Layla" is the product of that unrequited love. Boyd eventually divorced Harrison, and married Clapton. That relationship also produced another classic Clapton song, "Wonderful Tonight."Sop

So today, for Music Monday, I want to celebrate the 64th birthday of the greatest guitarist of all time playing the greatest rock song of all time. Eric Clapton and "Layla."

Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.





4 comments:

  1. Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughn are also greats. I own the Clapton box set and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no question those are also great guitarists, but for me, Clapton stands alone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the day, I couldn't think about Clapton without thinking about "I shot the sheriff, After Midnight, and Cocaine." Now I can't help but think about "Tears in Heaven" when I think of him. Still like his guitar though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears in Heaven always gets to me, for EC and for my brother who lost his son almost two years ago

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails