Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Big Day for Political Junkies

Eric Holder - Caricature
Eric Holder - Caricature (Photo credit: DonkeyHotey)
Tomorrow looks to be like a very busy news day here in the DC area for political junkies.  First off, and probably the most important news will be the expected announcement by the Supreme Court regarding the Constitutionality of Obama's health care reform bill.  The other big news will be the House of Representatives plan to vote to cite Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for his constant refusal to comply with a House subpoena regarding turning over documents dealing with the Fast and Furious scandal.

It probably won't come as a big surprise that I do not hold the Attorney General in very high regard.  Racebaiters and liberals would probably accuse my opposition to Holder, like my opposition to President Obama, due to the fact that he has a darker pigmentation that I do.  Sadly, that tired rhetoric from the left is getting old.  Nope, the fact of the matter is that everything Holder stands for, and for that matter Obama, is in complete anathema to my personal beliefs.

So far, there is at least one House Democrat who has already come out and said that he plans to vote in favor of holding Holder in contempt.  That would be Utah Representative Jim Matheson.  In addition, House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, who happens to be my Representative in Congress, said he expects that there will be other Democrats to vote in favor of the contempt citation.  As an aside, I hold Hoyer (who happens to be white) in the same disdain as Holder and Obama, so my beef is clearly ideological and not racial, but I digress.  I am glad to see that there will be some bipartisan support of the contempt citation as it will give it a bit more teeth.

Washington DC: United States Supreme Court
Washington DC: United States Supreme Court (Photo credit: wallyg)
The other big news expected tomorrow will be the announcement by the Supreme Court on the Constitutionality of Obamacare and the individual mandate that all must buy health insurance or face a penalty.  There are a number of ways that the court could go on this.  I have heard a number of more conservative commentators expect that at the very least the individual mandate could be declared unconstitutional but let the rest of the law stand.  Since the individual mandate is also said to be the linchpin of the entire law, then the whole law might be struck down.  Of course the possibility exists that the whole law may stand.

Personally, I can not understand why anybody who can get health insurance wouldn't want to have it.  When I first started working and became eligible for my own health insurance through work, I jumped at the opportunity, even though I was still a minor and on my parents policy.  Even though I was young and healthy, I also played a lot of sports and had my fair share of injuries.  I wanted to have insurance to cover the costs of any x-rays and what not.  Still, the Libertarian, less government side of me bristles at the thought of the government dictating to me that I have to buy something and the type of product I must buy.  I'd prefer to keep my liberty rather than turn it over to the government.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails