Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Visit to Goodwill

Goodwill Industries
Image via Wikipedia
These days, I am all about saving money wherever I can.  What with the price of gasoline rapidly heading towards $4 per gallon or more and food prices also on the rise, I need to save on expenses wherever I can.

I was visiting with the in-laws recently, and my brother-in-law was telling me how he recently found some khaki pants for about $5 at the Goodwill store in Crofton, MD just a few miles away from where I live.  A couple weeks ago, I was in the area and decided to stop by and check it out.  It was a small little store, but they did have a wide variety of clothes and other items to choose from.

It had been quite a long time since I had entered into a thrift store of any kind.  The last time was well over 20 years ago when a buddy of mine and I went into one with the sole purpose of trying to find inexpensive clothes that we could use to create Halloween costumes.  We were going to dress like heavy metal rock gods.  I found a burgundy velvet jacket with lace cuffs that worked great for me.

I have to confess that I felt a little bad going into the thrift store 20 years ago for the purpose of finding clothes for a Halloween costume.  In the back of my mind, I was thinking that a lot of people were relying on the shop for their daily needs, and here we were with the stated goal of finding clothes that we would normally consider tacky.

This morning, I headed back out to the local Goodwill store in Crofton.  I have been in desperate need of some shirts for work because a few of my shirts have holes worn through on the elbows.  Unfortunately I have not had the money (due to a car repair) nor the desire to pay full price on clothing for me at other stores.  I was very happy with my purchases today.

Finding shirts was fairly easy to do.  I found several that I liked, but eventually settled on four shirts that were in pretty good condition and were a style that I liked.  On the other hand, finding pants that I liked and that fit were more of a challenge.  Eventually, I did find a pair of black pants that were actually brand new and not used.

It takes a good bit of effort to find what you are looking for at the Goodwill store.  The clothes are not in order by sizes, nor are they tagged in any way other than the original tag inside the clothes.  It is a lot easier to find the size on shirts as opposed to pants.  I walked out of the store with 4 shirts and a pair of pants.  The total bill for my efforts, just under $23.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Our Goodwill separates clothes by sizes. Anything I don't make, I get there (with some rare exceptions where I stumble on some incredible deal). The prices of most things has gotten ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if they were separated by size. Maybe I will check around to see if any other shops near me do that

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails