Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Got My CPAP Machine

Full face CPAP maskImage via WikipediaIt has been a long road to discovering about my sleep apnea and my need for a CPAP machine.  It all started a little more than three months ago when I had a small scare while taking the garbage out to the curb for pick up.  While carrying the bags, all of a sudden my whole left side started tingling.

I went to the doctor that morning and my doctor ordered a series of tests.  First, he did a full blood workup and discovered that I had a low Vitamin D level, which could put me at risk for high blood pressure (which I have), heart attack or stroke.  I have since been taking Vitamin D supplements on a daily basis.

Another test ordered was a sleep study to test me for obstructive sleep apnea.  Untreated sleep apnea can also put you at risk for those same health problems.  I had the first study in July.  That study showed that I had sleep apnea.  I had a follow up study in August so they could determine the level of pressure that I would need from the CPAP machine.  Last week, I met with the doctor who ran the sleep clinic, and he wrote my prescription for the machine.

Finally, after three months of tests and doctors visits, I got my CPAP machine.  My insurance company required a particular company to provide the machine. A technician came to my office yesterday to show me how to operate and care for the machine.   The care of the machine seems to be pretty straightforward and simple.  The company also set me up for automatic replacements every few months for my mask, tubing, and filters.

My wife, and I, were both concerned about how loud the machine would be.  The good news is that the model they provided for me is whisper quiet.  The other good news is that my wife told me that I did not snore last night either.  It is obviously too early to tell if the machine will improve the way I feel during the day and how I sleep at night.  Last night, I stayed up too late watching football, so I was pretty tired today.  Still, no snoring and a quite machine are a good start.  If nothing else, the lack of snoring will make sleeping better for my wife.
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got a quiet maching. Both my CPAP and my BIPAP machines are noisy,and have caused me to have a seizures while useing them,so I just live with the snoring and occasional breathing stopping.what else can I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mike. Sorry to hear yours caused you issues

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get the sensation that the machine was sucking air out of your lungs instead of putting it in at first? This is what both my wife and I experienced, but it went away fairly quickly. I am on my original CPAP while she was put on BIPAP, which is bi-level. I have tried her's a couple of times, but I couldn't get used to it.

    Oh yeah, if the mask you displayed in the image is what you have, so do I. My wife has the nose plugs, which has a head harness that just doesn't work right with my rather small and round head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish, so far I have not had any real issues with the machine. There have been a few times I felt like I was swallowing air, but so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the resolution is in place and I hope soon you will feel more rested! Plus the side affects of NO more tingling in your side is a wonderful thing, keep taking that vitamin D. Take care, Dickster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cloris, I did have an unpleasant side effect this morning. I woke up with bad gas pain and bloating from swallowing air through the night. Hope it is something that I can adjust to

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now that stinks! :)

    I hope that sensation subsides and you are able to enjoy your mornings as well as sleeping through the night.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails