Monday, April 20, 2009

Black Socks & Shorts

I am of an age where I don't yet think of myself as old. I am also no longer under illusion that I am a young man. While I am not exactly an example of sartorial elegance, there are certain things that I never thought I would consider wearing. For instance, even when I was in the best shape of my life, I would have never considered wearing a speedo.

As a teenager, I remember watching the older men in the neighborhood mowing their lawns in their Bermuda shorts and black socks. My friends and I would laugh and joke about such fashion statements. We could not understand how anybody could be that "uncool" to dress that way.

Several years ago, I was playing second base on a church soft ball team. At the time, I was in pretty good shape. I lifted weights, played sports, and was a solid 200 pounds. During one game, I was attempting to turn a double play and was slid into by a fairly large guy.

It seemed like no big deal at the time, but the next day my knee was pretty sore, so I went to see the doctor. A week later, at a follow up, the doc had me go to the emergency room to get a venogram done. I spent the next ten days in the hospital with a blood clot in my leg. A few years later, I was hospitalized a second time with another blood clot.

So what does my health history have to do with wearing black socks with shorts? One of the things that my doctor suggested was that I should wear compression stockings to prevent further clotting episodes. I have always resisted doing so for two reasons; one is that I do not like constricting clothes and two is that they are rather expensive.

Recently, though, I have started having some problems with my legs. By the end of the day, my legs get very tired and swell a little bit. So over the weekend I bought a pair of compression dress socks to try. I wore then all day today, and they seemed to help with the swelling.

Now, I am thinking that I may have to wear them from now on. So far, I have only been able to find the socks in black (did I mention that they come up to the knees?) It is going to start getting warm soon, so I will have to make a decision. When I wear my shorts, do I wear my usual ankle high socks that do not provide the compression I apparently need, or do I wear the knee high, black socks that do? One thing for sure, I will never look at a man with black socks and shorts with the same mocking disdain I did before.

5 comments:

  1. I'm there with ya, dude. Aging blows. Here are some non-black compression socks, fyi:

    http://www.docortho.com/supports-and-braces/socks-and-hosiery/?gclid=CIT2woOmg5oCFZuF7QodDzZsGA

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the link. I will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. teee heee *points and laughs* just kiddin :)

    I suppose it's better to wear them. I'm sure there's other colors out there? There can't just be black ones. Can you wear those soccer socks instead? not sure if they're the same kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant expose' Just for the record, you'll always be cool in my book. With or without the black socks. I may laugh but at least now I'll know why. Grin...

    Getting older comes with changes - doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karoline-in a previous comment, geoff gave me a link to a site that sells some other colors. They do have some white athletic compression sock. The soccer socks don't give the same type of compression as the compression socks do. They also have unisex stockings that come in beige and white.

    Intrepid-I could give you a whole litany of my getting old changes. I do have to ask, is the only reason you still think I am cool is because I offered to buy you a porter or stout the next time you come to town?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails