Monday, August 31, 2009

Damn I Feel Old

no original descriptionImage via Wikipedia

I used to be quite active. I played high school football, however, unlike Al Bundy I never scored four touchdowns in a single game. Even after high school, I stayed pretty active playing softball and doing a lot of weight training.

Up until six years ago, my full time vocation was just a fifteen minute drive from the house. Even with putting in nine to ten hours per day and having a special needs child, there was still enough time in the day to get in some sort of workout. Unfortunately, that job was eliminated and subsequent employment has left me with much longer commute times and much less time for exercise.

So as I have become more and more inactive, I knew that I was getting more and more out of shape. This weekend I got a pretty good reminder as to how out of shape I have become. Yesterday my in-laws had a bowling party for my nephew. Originally I wasn't planning to participate figuring that it would just be the kids bowling. However, my brother in law was bowling so I decided to join in.

It has been a while since I last bowled. When I bowled on a regular basis, I used to bowl with a 16 pound ball. Yesterday, I started with a 14 pound ball and after the first roll, switched to a 13 pounder. Today, I can not believe how freaking sore I am. My legs, back, and even my are hurting. I know anytime you use muscles you haven't used in a while you will be sore, but bowling isn't exactly the most strenuous activity you can participate in.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Yep, bowling should be off limits for anyone over 40. I refuse to pick up a ball and pretend I won't be dying the next day. Because I will. Heck, I slept wrong the other night and I had to get an emergency massage the next day.

    What they should do is give you a fitness test before you bowl. Imagine all the people who'd be saved from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is three days later and I am just now able to bend over to tie my shoes or get up from my chair without making an old man sound.

    Disgusting

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails