Sunday, December 2, 2012

Resolution

Seal of the United States Social Security Admi...
Seal of the United States Social Security Administration. It appears on Social Security cards. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Last week, I shared my concern and frustration regarding a letter I had received from the Social Security Administration regarding my son and his SSI benefits.  I had already met with SSA to talk about having my son's SSI benefits increased to the full amount with no reduction.  I left the office having been told that they would be increasing his benefit to the full amount.  I thought that would be the end of it, but I received a letter from my local office stating that they needed to speak with me prior to November 30th or my son's benefit could be eliminated.

I called Monday morning and left messages for the person that I had met with on November 7th and with the person whose name was on the letter I received.  On Tuesday, I left messages with both people as well.  I also tried to speak with anybody who would answer the phone.  That person was no help at all, making excuses that they were short staffed and would not even look up my son's account.  Wednesday morning, I left messages again with the people that I thought could help me.  I never received a call back.  Thankfully, I did speak with somebody who looked up my son's records, assured me that everything was up to date, and that he would begin receiving his full benefit on January 1st.

On Friday, I checked the bank account that we are using for my son's SSI benefit and saw that he had received his normal deposit that had been reduced by the in kind support.  Today, I went into the accounts to check the balance.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a second deposit pending for my son's account.  It was for the amount that they had been reducing his benefit due to the in kind support that he had been receiving.  So, it looks like he is actually going to start receiving his full benefit this month rather than next month. It couldn't come at a better time as we have to get him a new mattress and box spring before he comes home at Christmas break.


Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. What a pleasant surprise to hear that this situation resolved itself to your satisfaction. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that the case has been resolved in your favor. Mine may be about to be messed up again. For with my wife no longer having a job, there will be no wages to report. I sent them a copy of the email from her former employer informing her of her termination, but I fear that this will not suffice. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't envy you trying to keep this all figured out for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails