Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Time and a Place

English: Canvass for a Cause field organizers ...
English: Canvass for a Cause field organizers working on the ground in Maryland to build support for the upcoming initiative to Legalize marriage equality. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I make no bones about the fact that I tend to lean a little bit to the right in regards to my political affiliations. OK, there are those that might label me a "right wing extremist." It is a badge that I wear with honor.  Just take a quick gander through this blog and read through my Twitter feed, and you will no doubt come to the conclusion that I am 100% conservative.

Though I am proudly and unabashedly conservative, there are certain areas of my life where I do not wear my conservatism on sleeve.  For instance, I do not broadcast my political views in the office place for all the world to see.  That is not to say that if it comes up in conversation with a coworker that I won't express my leanings, but I do not go out of my way to express those views.  There are some places where I just don't feel it's appropriate.

Most of the places that I have worked have more or less had a policy in place that basically instructed employees not to discuss political issues.  As the old saying goes, there are two things you don't want to discuss in polite company, politics and religion.  I think it is probably a wise policy to have in place as it can help to keep the peace.

So, it has surprised me to see one particular individual boldly showing her support for a political issue, and a controversial one at that.  On a regular basis, she wears a button urging people to "Vote for Marriage Equality" in support of ballot question 6 on Maryland's ballot on whether or not the state should allow same sex marriage.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem to me to be appropriate to be wearing in an office setting.  It isn't the subject matter of the button that bothers me.  It just doesn't seem professional to me.  I would have no problem with her sporting a bumper sticker on her car or campaigning for her cause outside of the office.  One should be involved in causes they believe in.

It would probably be inappropriate of me to make a comment about how her appearance matches the stereotypical look of a butch lesbian but I won't go there.  Oops, I just did.  Seriously though, I am not sure how I will vote on this particular issue.  I don't have strong feelings either way, though I might be leaning a bit one side based on this post.

In all seriousness though, do you think it is appropriate to wear any type of political button/statement in the work place?  I wouldn't wear a button or have a plaque on my desk promoting the Romney/Ryan ticket.  Nor would I express my support or opposition to a ballot initiative like Question 6 here in Maryland.  Now, if we could have another Ronald Reagan, that would be another matter entirely.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd have a problem with a person wearing a campaign button, any more than I do when a person wears a cross on a chain around their neck. But verbal proselytizing for a particular cause would annoy me, though. If I'm interested in your cause I'll approach you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on the street I would have no problem with the button. In the office, I just think it is inappropriate

      Delete
  2. I think I could handle a button. As Stephen said, I wouldn't want to be told I couldn't wear a cross. I do have trouble with all kinds of groups (with supposedly no political point in their existence) assuming that no "idiot Republicans" are present and making all sorts of derisive comments. In fact, I'm downright tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, anyone who refuses to be reasoned with is not someone I would want to employ--regardless of the job. So, I would allow buttons and T-shirts to be worn by employees out of the public eye at my place of work, but discussions would have to wait until after the work day is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willy has a strong conservative commitment. A year ago Willy never thought that he would want to vote for a Mormon. It is Willy's opinion that Mormon's are not worshiping the true God but their strong morals line up very much with Willy. Obama's does not.

    Willy says that to say that in my opinion it is the lack of people taking a strong stance on the absolutes wherever they are at. That would mean that we should be respectful but strong or our thoughts and beliefs where ever we are. Maybe we would not be in the moral decay that we are in if people would take a respectful stance.

    10-4 Willy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails