Thursday, May 31, 2012

Michael Bloomberg Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

English: New York Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg.
English: New York Mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I know all too well about the obesity problem in this country.  It is a serious matter.  I have chronicled here on more than one occasion my desire to lose some weight.  Last year, I did lose about 25 pounds over a four month period.  Unfortunately, I ended up gaining most of it back and a few more to boot.  That tends to happen a lot to those of us that continuously struggle with our weight.

Currently, I am back to trying to get down to a more healthy weight.  If you put any stock into the BMI charts or ideal weight charts, the I need to lose about 50-60 pounds.  Currently, my BMI is 32.5, which technically speaking makes me obese.  Now, when I look in the mirror, I think I look average, and most people I talk to say the same thing.  That, I suppose, is part of the problem.  Obese has become average.

I think when a lot of us think of obese, we think in terms of those that would be morbidly obese.  You know, the type of people that we see each season on The Biggest Loser television program.  Most of us have not reached that level of obesity.  The fact of the matter is that there are an awful lot of us who consider themselves normal or average that are clinically obese.

The reason that I bring this up today is because of a news story that was all over the airwaves this morning, first on my morning local news and then again on the talk radio station that I listen to on the way to work.  Michael Bloomberg, the Democratic Mayor of New York City, is proposing an outright ban on sugary drinks (sodas, etc) of greater than 16 ounces in restaurants, movie theaters, sports venues, and several other businesses that serve food and beverages.

Bloomberg says that the ban on soft drinks and other beverages loaded with sugar is needed to help with the ever growing obesity problem in this country.  While I agree that in general there is an ever increasing problem with obesity, and I am sure that Mayor Bloomberg has the best of intentions, it is really not going to do anything to remedy the situation.

How do I know that banning sugary drinks will not help with the obesity problem in this country?  All I have to do is look in the mirror.  I can't tell you the last time that I have had a high sugar drink.  I can tell you it has been years.  I have been married to my wife for over 20 years now.  I know that I have been drinking primarily drinking diet sodas since before I met her.  Coincidentally, I have been battling my weight demons for more than 20 years as well.

I don't know what the answer is for the obesity problem in this country.  If I did I wouldn't be struggling with the issue myself.  Primarily, I believe the answer lies in education, though to be honest, I know all to well what to do, but putting it into practice is the issue.  I do know that I do not believe it is the governments job to decide for us what we can or cannot eat.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately yours(and others) obesity problem cost the government(aka the tax payers) money. Obese people use more resources such as oil because it takes more gas to move you from point a to point b in a car, bus, or plane. You will use up higher rate of health care resources, you will take more sick days, lowering productivity, you will cause equipment like park benches to wear down faster. Because your obesity cost the government money the government has every right to decide what you do and don't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. first, you know nothing about me. I am rarely sick. Maybe an occasional bout with the flu or a cold. I maybe visit the doctor 2 or 3 times per year. While the BMI charts classify me as obese, I am only a few pounds over that line.

      Plus, like a typical liberal, you entirely miss the point. The problem is not the drinks. Millions drink them and are not obese.

      If you believe that the government has the right to tell you what you can eat or drink, then maybe you should move to Cuba or North Korea.

      Delete
  2. So much for freedom.... Bloomberg might want to have a little light reading - the Constitution.

    I don't even drink soda these days, but this is getting a little silly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails