Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Nice Visit & Some Random Thoughts

Danica PatrickImage by Vitodens via FlickrIt has been a few weeks since I posted anything specifically about my son and his adjustment to the school.  I guess the old adage is true, "no news is good news."  That would be the case here.  He has been doing very well the past three or four weeks.

One of the more difficult aspects of his going away to school has been not being able to see him.  During the transition period we were told that we would not be able to visit him for five weeks.  Due to the some of the early struggles and the holidays, he never spent more than a couple weeks at the school until recently.

With the progress he has made the last few weeks, we were finally able to drive out to have a visit with him.  When we got to his dorm, he was taking a nap on one of the couches in the recreation room.  We woke him up gently by talking to him.  It took him awhile to fully wake from his slumber, but once he did we had a great visit.

Speaking of driving out to his school, that brings me to random thought #1.  When you are driving and see a speed limit sign, does the speed limit start at the point of the sign or when you are able to see it?  The reason I ask is that there is a road we drive on that is 50 mph.  It drops from 50 mph to 40 mph and then drops to 30 mph within a quarter mile of the 40 mph sign. 

My son really enjoys watching NASCAR races, so one of the things we took out to him was a DVD of the Nationwide Series race at Daytona.  He was extremely excited to get it, and he ran to his room to get his DVD player so he could watch parts of the race.  He likes when Danica Patrick races so that they say "drivers start your engines," instead of "gentlemen."

After we had been there for a while, it was time to go to lunch.  He put his coat on and we headed down to the cafeteria for lunch.  He ate a lot of food while we were there.  That had been one of our major concerns when he started because he wouldn't eat much at all.  Lately, though, he has been eating three times a day.  He still isn't eating a lot of variety, but we will take eating regularly.  Hopefully the variety will come too.

After lunch, he and his dorm mates went to the gym for a little exercise.  We walked around the gym for a couple laps until somebody broke out the basketballs.  My son and I grabbed one of the basketballs and shot a few baskets.  His one handed dribbling looks a lot better than it had been.  We were able to work up a little bit of a sweat (which reminds me that I need to do a post soon about how my new eating habits are doing.)

Now a brief aside for my second random thought.  When we drive out to his school, we always pass some signs for Tuckahoe State Park.  I guess it says something about me when every time I pass by a sign that says "Tuckahoe" I have the same thought.  If you change one letter it could be the lyric of a rap song.  Think about it.

After about a three hour visit, we decided to head home for the day.  Saying goodbye was not traumatic at all.  At first, especially when he saw me, he thought he was going home, but we explained that he had to stay and we would pick him up in 10 days for his next long weekend home.  He seemed fine with it.  All in all, a very pleasant day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails