Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blues Song of the Week-Robert Cray "Right Next Door"

Over the years, I sometimes look back and remember who introduced me to various musical acts. My old high school friend, David Mills, over at the Undercoverblackman blog introduced me to the music of Prince back in thearly 80's. My youngest brother first introduced me to the music of Robert Cray.

I have always been a huge fan of Eric Clapton, and my earliest blues exposure was through EC. As fate would have it, Clapton was touring and Cray was opening up for him. My brother, bought me a pair of tickets for the concert, and one for himself. The tickets we had were great. We weren't on the floor, but we were in the front row off to one side of the stage.

Both men were spectacular. My brother decided to leave during Clapton's encore, but my buddy and I stayed. We were glad we did, because during the encore, we noticed someone was standing on the floor beneath us. It was Robert Cray. Needless to say, we shouted out to him and he turned around. We told him how much we enjoyed the show, and he reached up and shook our hands. I guess my brother left a little too early.

The first CD I ever owned of Robert Cray was Strong Persuader, and it remains my favorite Cray CD. Here he is performing the song that gave the disc its title.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Cray's appearance in the classic comedy National Lampoon's Animal House. Watch for Cray as the bass player for Otis Day & the Knights performing Shout at the Delta House.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I never got around to checking out Robert Cray. Never bought an album, never downloaded any tracks.

    If I was gonna start, Dick, what would the essential album be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much of his current stuff, but my favorite has always been Strong Persuader. In my opininion there isn't a weak song on the disc. False Accusations is also very strong.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails