Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pop Phone

Retro Bat Phone
Retro Bat Phone (Photo credit: Irish Typepad)
I would be willing to bet that most of you out there have a cell phone.  In fact, a recent Pew Internet report showed that 88% of all Americans own a cell phone.  For the first time ever, more than half of all cell phone users have some sort of smartphone.

There is a growing trend for people to give up their traditional landline telephone and use their cell phones exclusively.  I have considered giving up our landline in favor of the cell only but have resisted for a couple of reasons.  Primarily because our cell phone reception isn't the strongest in our house.  Second, we currently have our landline bundled with our internet and television.


I am not sure when my wife and I first got our cell phones.  I know it has been several years.  They have become an almost indispensable part of life.  As phones have gotten smaller and do more, we always want the latest and greatest.  The size of the phone is one of the biggest features that my wife has always looked for in a phone.  She wants something small and easy to carry with her.  Same here.


I admit that I am not the hippest cat in town these days.  Hell, just by using the phrase "hippest cat in town" proves that.  Having said that, there are a number of things that happen in pop culture that I just do not get.  The "Pop Phone" retro handset for your cell phone is one of the things that I just do not get.  Have you seen these yet?  It is an an old fashioned style handset that plugs into the earphone jack of your cell phone.


Lenny Kravitz with POP Phone by Native Union
Lenny Kravitz with POP Phone by Native Union (Photo credit: Photo Giddy)
This thing just flies in the face of the main attraction of having a cell phone and that's the portability.  Who wants to lug around a full sized phone handset with them everywhere they go?  I know I wouldn't.  I could see it for some women who might also carry around a large tote bag with them.  At least they would have a place to carry it.  But what about us guys?  Lug it around with it draped around our necks? No thank you.


I am sure that I have bought some things in the past that were basically useless that I thought was cool or happening at the time.  Maybe it's a young persons thing, but this is something that I can't see spending my hard earned money on.  Am I wrong on this?  What are your thoughts on the Pop Phone handset?  Would you drop 30 bucks or so on something like this?
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. YA-HOO! I am one of the 12%! My brother and his wife have dropped their home land-line for their cellphones, which has me baffled. For my brother will not go near a computer, and I thought the natural order of things dictated that one starts out on a computer and then moves on to a cellphone. Of course, since he has never used a phone of any kind all that much, it may very well be that it doesn't make any difference to him, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if people would be a litte quieter when useing these handsets.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails