Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gay Marriage

Yesterday, the legislature of the state of Vermont overrode a gubernatorial veto of legislation that would allow gay marriage in the state. Vermont became the fourth state in the USA to allow same sex marriages. More importantly, they became the first state to allow the practice through legislative rather than through a court action.

So how do I, a self proclaimed conservative and a former member of a fundamentalist Christian church feel about this turn of events? To be honest, I don't feel strongly one way or the other. I mean, with nearly half of heterosexual marriages ending in divorce, it isn't like we have gotten it entirely right ourselves. Plus, I don't feel like it is going to diminish my own marriage any. With all of the problems in the world, I am all for two people committing to each other out of love.

One of the main reasons I do not have that much of a problem with the state of affairs in Vermont is that it was done through the legislature. The previous states that have allowed gay marriage have done so through the courts. That is where I have had issues with those states. I do not feel it is the place of the courts to legislate from the bench, which is what the California Supreme Court did when they allowed same sex marriages to take place.

On a completely unrelated note, during the last presidential election, there were several liberals who would proclaim that any white person that would not have voted for Barack Obama must be a racist. I was just wondering if I were to proclaim that Barney Frank is a blithering idiot, would that make me a homophobe? I'm just asking.

2 comments:

  1. Here is a novel Let them get married.Than when things go soutrh instead of just walking away feom each other let them hire lawyers and fight each other in court for who get what just like us strait people have to do! Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, what's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails